Vegan Quiche with Asparagus
FOR THE CRUST:
- 260 grams or 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 80 ml or 1/3 cup olive oil
- 100 ml or 0.4 cup cold water
FOR THE FILLING:
- 125 grams or 1 cup raw cashews soaked in water over night
- 160 ml or 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- a pinch cayenne
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped herbs (I used wild garlic, oregano and thyme)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
FOR THE QUICHE:
- 7 spears asparagus (alternatively, you can use other veggies)
PREPARE THE CRUST:
- Preheat the oven to 180 ℃ or 355 F. Combine whole wheat flour, salt, olive oil and water in a medium mixing bowl. Knead until the dough forms a ball. Roll it and transfer to a rectangular quiche or tart pan. You can use sizes like 14 x 6 inches, 12 x 12 inches or even round-shaped ones. Bake for 15 minutes.
MAKE THE FILLING:
- Place soaked cashews, garlic, water, lemon juice, nutmeg and a pinch of cayenne in the bowl of your food processor or blender. Pulse until smooth and silky. Add more water if you think it's too thick (it should have the consistency of hummus or a bit thinner). Add chopped herbs, salt and black pepper to taste.
PREPARE YOUR VEGGIES:
- If you choose to use asparagus in your quiche, blanche it first. Trim the ends and put asparagus in salted boiling water vertically (stems down) for 5 minutes. This way you will pre-cook the thickest parts of your stems while the tops will be nice and crunchy.
- If you make your quiche with any other vegetables from the list above (except of dried tomatoes), you should pre-cook them too. The quiche takes 20 minutes to bake, so the veggies won't be completely done if you put them raw into the pan. Therefore, stir-fry or steam them before adding.
ASSEMBLE THE QUICHE:
- Spread the filling over the crust. Arrange asparagus on top and gently press it, so that it's half drown in the filling.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until he top is golden. The middle should be a little unset, but if you want it to be rather firm, increase the baking time to 30 minutes. Let it cool and enjoy!