Easy Vegetarian Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1-3 tablespoons chili powder (more will be spicier)
- 2 tablespoons of cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 – 2 teaspoons of chili flakes (the more chili flakes the spicier it will be)
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 – 28oz cans of whole tomatoes and their juice (use your hands to roughly crush the tomatoes)
- 1 – 15-ounce cans of aduki beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 15-ounce cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cup of frozen corn
- Salt, to taste
- Optional toppings: sour cream, cheddar cheese, cilantro, diced avocadosor green onion.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, and chili flakes and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add the peppers, carrots, and celery and cook for about 5 minutes, or until they just start to soften. Add tomatoes and their juice and bring to a simmer. Once the chili begins to simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low. You want the chili to be at a low simmer with the lid off.
- Continue to cook the chili, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add beans and corn and let the chili return to a simmer. Cook for 5 more minutes or until the corn and beans have heated through.
- Generously salt to taste.
- Serve on its own or topped with one (or all!) of the delicious toppings.