Honey Ginger Tofu & Veggie Stir Fry
for the stir fry
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice or farro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 14 ounces firm tofu
- 2 cups chopped asparagus
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 3 green onions, minced
for the garlic ginger stir fry sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons honey (more to taste)
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Sauce: Puree all the sauce ingredients together in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- Tofu: Cook the rice or farro according to package directions. Cut the tofu into slices and press with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Wait a few minutes and press again – there’s lotsa water in there! Cut the tofu slices into small cubes. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the oil is shiny, add the tofu and about 1/4 cup of the stir fry sauce (watch out because the sauce and oil will spatter a tiny bit – have a cover ready or just skip the sauce at this point). Pan-fry the tofu until golden brown. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towel lined plates.
- Veggies: Return the pan to the heat and add the asparagus with 1/4 cup stir fry sauce. When the asparagus is bright green and tender crisp, add the carrots and toss together. Arrange the veggies and tofu over the cooked rice or farro, and cover with more sauce to taste. Sprinkle with the green onions.